Confirmation for 2018 is: May 19th @ the 4 PM Vigil Mass, St. Julia Church, Weston
Before getting Confirmed, each candidate needs to submit:
1) Sponsor info
2) Confirmation (Saint) Name info
3) A letter requesting confirmation from the Bishop
A sponsor needs to be an active, practicing Catholic who has received all three sacraments of initiation, including Confirmation. This person should be mature and old enough to serve as a role model and spiritual guide for the teen candidate. A parent cannot be the sponsor of his or her own child.
Please take the time to prayerfully consider who you would like to have as your sponsor, and then discuss your choice with your family. An ideal sponsor is someone you have a close, personal relationship with, who will continue to be present in your life beyond Confirmation and with whom you feel comfortable sharing your faith. If you are having a difficult time selecting a sponsor, contact the Confirmation Director, who can help you find the right person for you.
Confirmation Name (Saint Name)
One option you have at the time of Confirmation is to take the name of a Saint who you would like to guide you through your Christian life. On the day of your Confirmation, your sponsor will tell the Bishop what name you will take. Some candidates like to honor their family members by taking a special family name– this is alright, as long as the candidate understands that they are choosing the saint to be their patron in Confirmation. You may also want to choose a patron saint of some particular cause, state of life, or profession that interests you, or you may decide to be confirmed with your baptismal name. Please take time to pray about this decision, research your saint, and reach out to the Confirmation Director with any questions!
Each candidate should write a personally typed letter to the Bishop requesting that you be confirmed. This one-page letter should include the following:
- Information about yourself – e.g., your interests, hobbies, sports, family, etc.
- An explanation of how and why your Catholic faith and the Catholic Church are important to you?
- Why you are choosing to be confirmed?
- What have been some highlights during the preparation process?
- Whom are you choosing for your sponsor and why?
- How is your sponsor a role model of faith for you?